Table of Contents
QRP Labs - QCX firmware upgrade with Raspberry Pi
I now use the: USBTinyISP method.
Using a Raspberry Pi board as AVR programmer to update the QRP Labs QCX transceiver's firmware. The power draw from the QCX to the RPi seemed a bit too much, so I did not use the RPi 5v output.
Photo of older version firmware, i'm now at v1.05.
- Raspberry Pi (I used a 3 model B+ board from 2017).
- Raspbian (based on Debian Buster). Using
/boot/wpa_supplicant.conffor headless install.
- A built and working QCX tranceiver. Website: http://qrp-labs.com/qcx.html
- Jumper wires.
- QCX Firmware https://www.qrp-labs.com/qcx/qcxfirmware.html.
- Connect a dummy load! I did see a unit going into transmit when connected to the RPi, during flashing transmit was off. I haven't investigated how and why this happens.
- Enable spi in
- Install avrdude:
sudo apt install avrdude
Raspberry Pi ========================================= (Right board edge) | 1 oo|2 3 oo|4 5 oo|6 7 oo|8 9 oo|10 11 oo|12 13 oo|14 15 oo|16 17 oo|18 BCM 10 MOSI - 19 oo|20 BCM 9 MISO - 21 oo|22 BCM 25 RESET BCM 11 SCLK - 23 oo|24 GND - 25 oo|26 <snip> QCX ========================================= (left board edge) | V - | V + | GND | o o RESET MOSI | o o SCK 5V | o o MISO
- Check connection:
sudo avrdude -p atmega328p -c linuxspi -P /dev/spidev0.0 -v -b19200
- Program latest firmware:
sudo avrdude -p atmega328p -c linuxspi -P /dev/spidev0.0 -v -b19200 -U flash:w:T1.04.hex